PROCRASTINATION


           Do you ever procrastinate? If so, I need to know how you finally kick yourself out of it. If not, you are my hero. And you may want to just skip this post.

            You see, I’ve been “supposed to” write a blog post since the first day of this year. It could be anything, a poem, an essay, a short story.  Just words on the page was the only criteria.
            First, I got sick with an upper respiratory infection and felt cruddy. I told myself I’d write after I felt better. Then I got really busy at work catching up on the things that I let slide while I was sick. And I tired easily because I wasn’t completely recuperated from the crud yet, so I had to relax and rest when I made it home.
            There are always household chores that need to be done, something that needs to be picked up at the store, and some mess made by one of our beloved pets.
            But then there are books and articles to be read and social media to get caught up on. And don’t even mention the silly word games and Sudoku apps on my phone that I seem to find time to play daily. It almost looks like I don’t even want to write.
            But I do! I really want to. But here’s what happens when I sit down at the keyboard.

·         If I’m going to participate in Lucidity (annual poetry retreat) I have to get some poems ready: the deadline is March 1.
·         I have a homework assignment for February’s WCCW meeting. It won’t take long. I should just knock it out now.
·         I need a snack.
·         The historical fiction piece I started has potential for a contest for western short story. I should get back to it.
·         I need to get back to my missing persons story. It is a beginning with no direction.
·         That story idea we brainstormed at the workshop could be developed into a good little story.
·         I should put that load of clothes in the dryer.
·         I started a kids’ story last week. I should see where it’s going.
·         I need to find a speaker for the conference. I’ll google potential speakers. (On more than one occasion, this activity consumed all available hours until bedtime.)

If you have any secret weapons to fight procrastination, I would love to hear them. Seriously, message me. I need to go check my messages.


Comments

  1. Do you know Faye and Billy Adams? They rave about the Lucidity conference.

    I cannot make myself write, but when the urge hits, I CAN write. however, many times, one good click leads to another, and I get lost on social media and other blogs an sites. When I was reading your bullet points I read, have to throw a load of clothes in the dryer, and the next one was about a children's book. HA HA I thought your book was a kid's book about laundry. you will get back into the groove again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments on my blog! You are a fantastic writer. If you post a blog I will put a link to yours on mine and hopefully get you a reading audience that leaves comments. When I started out that was my road block to writing. It was disappointing. Then I decided I would use my blog as a personal journal, writing for me first and then my readers if they ever came. They eventually did. I say get a wild March "hair" (lol) and get going by next week. What do you say?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Yes. I finally got around to writing a new post today. I hope to be more productive with that wild March hair!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NEW WEBSITE

Finding the Blessings Under a Blanket of Snow