A FAVORITE MEMORY MAKES A FAVORITE POEM

I wrote this poem about a childhood memory of baking with my grandmother. It won first place in a poetry contest at Arkansas Writers Conference in June. I hope you enjoy it.


Memory in the Baking
  
The scent of vanilla and brown sugar
draws me into the heart of my grandmother’s house –
toasty warm, rowdy

Grandmother straightens and turns from the stove
her aproned fists clutching a bubbling pie –
golden brown, perfect

Giggling cousins sneak a spoon into the bowl
as the stand-mixer whirrs and spins –
creamy, gooey batter

Excited voices and laughter rise and fall against
the backdrop of music from a transistor radio –
static, tinny country

Hot water cascades into the deep sink
building foamy mountains of suds –
snow white, steamy

The boisterous scene evaporates
leaving me standing silent in my own kitchen –
modern, empty, cold

Comments

  1. This is such an evocative poem. The sensory details are dramatic. Transported me right there with your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. My Granny's kitchen was truly a haven, and the site of many of my fondest memories.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NEW WEBSITE

Finding the Blessings Under a Blanket of Snow

When in Doubt, Pray